Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Parenting for Peace

Over the last few days I have been blessed with mommy vacation. It has been wonderful to have some unexpected time by myself. I have been able to ground myself and really reflect on being a parent. I feel like sometimes with all of the day to day activities I get caught up and spread myself too thin with doing things, going here, acquiring, achieving and evaluating I sometimes honestly, loose my own presence and awareness and quite possibly some of the greatest experiences of being a parent. Could I be missing out on some of the joy's of everyday life? As a persons worldview, creates their own worldview, the process of continuously revising the lenses and shifting to a higher paradigm.

Aristotle said, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."

Our basic understandings of who we are and what the world is all about are a series of neural perception templates that were pretty much molded for us, by our earliest experiences with people and the environment around us. In the book, Parenting for Peace, by Marcy Axness, PhD, she repeatedly talks about raising the next generation of peacemakers. Here is a You Tube video with Marcy talking about how Peace Begins with Every Mother and Baby.

7 Enduring Principals to Ponder:

Presence - Being fully engaged right here, right now with your body, your thoughts, your feelings.
Awareness -  The knowledge needed to be effective.
Rhythm - A fundamental human pacing need, often forgotten in our techno-automated world.
Example -  The ultimate mode of teaching, and learning.
Nurturance - The practical demonstration of love.
Trust -  Calm reliance upon processes outside of your immediate perception and control' cousin to humility.
Simplicity -  The absence of complication and excess.

The more we simplify, the more we embolden ourselves to rely upon and find strength in our own resources. Make no mistake - this book on Parenting For Peace is calling for a revolution - an awakening to our own power that comes from within. Every time our children see us putting our inner sources to work, even when it doesn't seem like its enough, it is an important education. Because, You Are Enough! The ability to draw on your own resources will give your child the ability to do the same. And this is one of the greatest gifts you can give them!
Into my will let there pour strength,
Into my feeling let there flow warmth,
Into my thinking let there shine light,
that I may nurture this child
with enlightened purpose,
caring with heart's love and brining
wisdom to all things.
~Rudolf Steiner
Hope you are enjoying the bounty of the summer!

xoxo
Michelle

Please check out my personal site at: www.MichelleBerryShaffer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment