Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yoga and Beauty Sleep


My exercise program has been completely non-existant since my accident in September. Its really embarrassing to say that even before the accident I wasn’t exactly working out on a regular basis. That being said, I have to take better care of my body because exercise oxygenates our body and this in turn helps brighten our cells bringing more charisma and color to our complexion.
Even though there are many forms of exercise, yoga is the one I am choosing to focus on because it is balancing. Yoga effectively works to stretch and strengthen our muscles. And since yoga is more beneficial when done consistently, I am challenging myself to do yoga every day until the end of 2012. A couple times a week I will try to document my experience of practicing yoga every day.
Though diet and exercise are critical components of healthy lifestyles, it’s also important to remember that sleep is inherently linked with how we eat (and how much), how we exercise (and whether or not we lose weight), and how we function on a daily basis. Sleep is the time when our body relaxes and repairs itself, rejuvenating our skin and connective tissues and getting the proper amount of sleep each night is necessary to face the world with my best foot forward! I am going to do is make sure I get enough beauty sleep! And for the most part a great sleeper, when my head hits the pillow, Im out like a light and I am usually up by 6:30 to 7 the next day. But lately, this has not been the case, I have been up at all hours of the night, restless and achy, I can feel how poor the circulation is in my legs and lower back. Im not sure if its stress or what, but my body is having a hard time sleeping! It is my goal to get back on a routine of exercise and beauty sleep so that I can be a more happier and healthier individual.
Here is the story: Monday night I didn’t sleep well. I went to be late and then proceeded to lay in bed for an hour, only to get back up and have some tea. I read from the book A Course in Miracles, and finally hit the pillow at 2am! Only to wake back up at 6:30am to get the girls to school. A girl needs her beauty sleep and let me tell you, a girl does not feel beautiful when she is groggy from lack f sleep!
So yesterday, I started out with a yoga Sunrise Flow for Energy. It lasted 25 minutes. Although it was short, it was a dynamic yoga practice that helped me to wake up and open my heart first thing in the morning! What a way to revitalize from my night of hardly sleeping!
Next I wrote in my journal, meditated and took a nap for about an hour.
Later in the day I took a 30 minute walk and did my mom duties driving my girls around to various activities.
Tomorrow is another day….. I’ll let you know how my yoga and sleep goes! :)
A yogi is not so much interested in finding the Fountain of Youth as he/she is in continuing the Spirit of Youth to the very end. There is nothing that will fill the human heart with more cheer than the practice of Yoga. ~Theos Bernard, Yoga Gave Me Superior Health
Have a wonderful day taking little steps to transform yourself!
Love,
Michelle
Check out my personal site at www.MichelleBerryShaffer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment